Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My thoughts on Valentines Day.

A single guy's thoughts on Valentine's Day...

Ok, so here they are.
We live in a world, where the "have's" love to show off what they have to not only the "have not's" but also the other "have's". You can see this quite evidently in just about every aspect of life. Look at what kind of car people with money drive. I saw this first hand when we were down in Scottsdale this last week. Why on earth would you spend over $100,000 on a car unless it was to show what you had. Yet I saw more than one Ferrari, Bentley, Hummer, that I highly doubt were purchased for their "functional" aspect. They were purchased by the owners to show what they had.

I can tell you are already thinking that I am a hypocrite, and yes, you are right. I happen to have a nice bike that I like to show off. I have even been known to make a purchase of two in my life that maybe wasn't made on the basis of function, but more looks. (I once special ordered a seat from Colorado for full retail price just to get one that was the right color to match the yellow highlights on my bike. And the fact that I am even telling you this furthers my point even more)

The point is people generally like to be seen with what they have. It must be some kind of self esteem builder. Letterman's jacket sales across the nation are another prime example of this principle. Who really cares, other than the wearer of the jacket, that you lettered in debate, drill team, and football all in the same semester?

(once again, I make no claim to be exempt from this principle, I put patches on my jacket for anything I could possibly think of and wore the thing everyday, probably even to church if my parents would have let me, I had a blue tie I really think would have looked good with it)

So that is all Valentine's day is. Some lady back in the day decided to come up with one more way to flaunt what she had; a guy wrapped around her finger so tight he'd fork over whatever amount of money he had to to "show her how he felt".

(PS No, I am not bitter or anything)

Anyway, so what do girls want for Valentine's day? A small note expressing how much she is appreciated and loved, or a freakin' giant stuffed animal with balloons and flowers she "has" to carry around all day only to draw attention to what she has...a man wound around her finger. You tell me.

The best part of the whole thing is that we've associated it with a religious figure. (St. Valentine, who I can assure you would be rolling over in his grave if he even knew what his male descendants were being duped into doing)

I guess that is all I have to say about that. And no, I do not wonder why I am single, I am fully aware of several of the reasons.

PS The whole wedding ring thing falls under the exact same idea.

6 comments:

Garrett said...

Single guys think?

Ashley O said...

Since you wrote this like 2 weeks ago I'm starting to think you're making a point by saying that you have no thoughts on Valentine's Day....

don't be so bitter. One day you'll be cool.

Unknown said...

full retail??? OMG! I can't believe you paid FULL retail for it...especially when markup was a whole what...10 bucks? Just kidding. I can't stand paying full retail for stuff either.

Iverson Girls said...

Well if you asked me to read your blog you should have anticipated I would respond! So first things first...I would like to meet the male or female who has lettered in both football and drill team. Ha, ha...that would be hilarious. Secondly why do we naturally assume it's a woman who is responsible for the holiday?? For RUDE!! According to wikipedia, (which we all recognize as the source of all truth), romantic association with the day is actually stemming from our good friend Geoffrey Chaucer (a MAN!!) Thirdly...I don't see why it is such a resented holiday?? From the perspective of a single girl I enjoy the opportunity to eat a little extra chocolate. But I think if I ever do have a Valentine it will just be a nice day set apart to show your appreciation and affection. It's less about what you get and more about thought and intention. Not that we can't do that any other day...(and not to make generalizations) but I think guys are more absent minded and sometimes they need a day set aside that will remind them to something special for their girl. Girls need no reminder but relish in the opportunity regarless :) Okay so much of this discourse is stemming from my inability not to dispute everything you say...jk Thanks for the laughs.
Crystelle

Iverson Girls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kirsten and josh said...

i should not have to hint this but i will anyway.

have you checked your mail lately? ...if not... you probably should.

end of story.